If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (208) 466-5000

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

How Can Original Wiring on Antique Lamps Can Cause Fire Damage in Nampa?

4/20/2020 (Permalink)

An outlet with cords on fire Inspect your appliances often for signs of wear and tear to help prevent fires.

Mitigating Vintage Lamp Fire Damage in a Nampa Home 

Whether you want a vintage lamp to accentuate your decor or you are an avid collector of such items, vintage electrical appliances can pose some hefty fire risks. A UL-certified vintage lamp does not guarantee its safety, and typically means Underwriter's Laboratory certified the light at the time of its manufacture. In many cases, these types of lights need rewiring by a certified professional.  

If your vintage lighting or other electrical fixtures have caused fire damage to your Nampa home, SERVPRO technicians are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, to mitigate disaster. These technicians use a broad spectrum of mitigation tools, from EPA-registered wet and dry cleaning solutions to deodorizing solutions crafted to combat soot odors and residues, to restore your structure after incurring fire-related losses. SERVPRO can also help you find licensed local specialists that can rewire or replace components in your vintage fixtures, so they are fire-safe by today's standards. 

Handling Vintage Electronics & Fixtures

Finding a well-built vintage light fixture can be exciting for any decorating opportunity. However, there are some considerations you need to take into account before you purchase: 

  • Has the fixture been rewired? Correct wiring is vital for avoiding fire hazards from brittle wiring.
  • Does it have the US or European wiring? A foreign appliance needs to rewiring for US voltage requirements.
  • Has the fixture recently been UL-certified?If your light needs servicing or installation by an electrician, it must be UL-certified. Passing an electrical inspection helps increase your home's safety.  

SERVPRO Restores Charred Furniture

If an electrical fire from old lamp wiring has charred nearby fixtures and furniture, SERVPRO technicians can remove charred debris and focus on cleaning and restoring structural materials, and prepare the area for replacement of drywall and insulation. A wood nightstand or end table is salvageable if the charring is not overly extensive. Restoration techs can apply Wood Creme Paste to remove discoloration from wood and finishes on furniture.  

SERVPRO of Nampa / Caldwell provides a mitigation service that can make your home look, "Like it never even happened." Call (208) 466-5000 for a cleanup that restores your home fast. 

Want to see more about Nampa?

Other News

View Recent Posts